Are you feeling pressured to be Happy? Positive? Grateful? Joyful?
Are you feeling pressured to set big goals, and commit to big resolutions, when you have doubt & uncertainty?
Give yourself a break. Pause. Breathe.
This year has been especially difficult. The world saw horrific violence. Our country experienced unprecedented divisiveness within its own borders.
The solutions to the problems that drove these situations are complicated. However, we can still take action to minimize the negative impact external events have had on us individually.
When we can commit to a positive personal mindset, this has a ripple effect on those around us. We can lift the world by lifting ourselves.
Here are 3 things you can do to see the world in a more positive way, fuel your own hopes and optimism, and create a more positive, compassionate, & meaningful state of mind as we move into 2017.
1: Commit to an Attitude of Gratitude. According to Psychology Today, gratitude:
- Opens the door to more positive relationships
- Improves self-esteem
- Improves physical and emotional health
- Helps us sleep better
- Improves mental strength
Need some help remembering those those things in your life for which to be grateful? Try the 5-Minute Gratitude Journal.
2: Commit to Daily Selflessness. How are you helping one person each day have a better day? Just one selfless act, for one person, each day, will lift your own sense of purpose, connection and hope. It may be a call, a thank-you note, or just being present. Don’t underestimate your ability to make an impact in the life of another, through one simple act of kindness. It helps them know they matter, and it adds to your own significance.
“Too much self-centered attitude brings isolation. Result: loneliness, fear, anger. The extreme self-centered attitude is the source of suffering.” ~Dalai Lama
3: Commit to Positive Messaging and Information. The content we allow into our psyche profoundly influences how we feel about our life, our significance, and our future. There is a wealth of resources that expose you to positive messaging. Here are a few for you to start using now:
- Blinkist – one of my favorite apps. It summarizes books in an audio or text format. I use it to capture and access highlights from my favorite books, or books I want to read but can’t get through because of time limitations
- Chopra Guided Meditations – you don’t need an app; just listen to one of 15 guided meditations right from the site. I rotate these almost nightly before I go to bed, to end my day with positive messaging.
- Tony Robbins Podcast – Hands down one of the most motivational and educational podcasts out there about overcoming odds to succeed.
- Rob Bell Podcast – Rob Bell has a way of providing much-needed perspective on how we fit into a bigger picture, with specific strategies for moving through difficulty. While he is a pastor, the content is not delivered in a religious or preachy format.
2017 will deliver great joy and happiness for you. It will come in ways you may not expect. Opportunities are manifesting and doors are opening for you that you can not see yet. You will grow and evolve in ways you can’t imagine right now. You will rise to the occasion to move through challenges with strength you did not know you had.
Wishing you peace, joy, and love.
Sign up here to receive Successful Culture’s leadership blog every Friday. All posts contain actionable content to make you the best leader you can be, to help you develop your people to their greatest potential, and to help you build your best organization.
About Successful Culture
We work with business owners, CEOs, and leadership teams that want to achieve their greatest personal & organizational potential. Through coaching, strategic consulting, retreat facilitation, and workshops, we equip leaders & emerging leaders with the mindset, tools, strategies, and processes they need to excel.
Please check out my Inc. Magazine columns on my Author Page too.
Learn about the 12 Habits of Horrible Leaders, and How to Break Them.
Wishing you joy and success on your journey!
CEO, Successful Culture
“Taking Leaders from Triage to Transformation.”